Thursday, May 17, 2012

Q3 - English

English is my favorite subject so I like a lot of the novels we read. I think that my favorite book is The Awakening by Kate Chopin. We read this novel in AP Literature. This novel was really well written and it talked about some of the things I’m most passionate about. The novel is set in 1899 and women were still considered property of the men of that time. I don’t know what that is like but I do know that I would not have survived in a time like that.  I feel like the life Edna lives is because she’s in survival mode. I find it difficult to understand how just because a society tells someone how to act they’re going to do it and be happy. If I lived in that time I wouldn’t be able to follow those rules. I don’t think of myself as a man’s property. I am independent and any man that I’m with has to treat me as an equal. Did Edna feel the same way I do? Is it because of the time period that it was so foreign for her culture?  It makes me think about the way we live today. Do the thoughts of people evolve over time? Is true independence for women only sought for in modern times?
I guess I liked this book because it made me think. I don’t remember a book ever making me think about life in such a way. I enjoy the Feminist Movement because I see myself as one of those women who just yearn to be equal in a world of superiors. I don’t know if that is ever truly capable because one is always higher than the other, but I do believe that it can level itself out. It’s definitely on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment